Margaret Terwey is an experienced trial lawyer who has obtained successful results for her clients at all stages of litigation. Her practice focuses on litigation arising from major transactions, including M&A and other contract disputes, and shareholder class actions challenging those transactions. She has represented entities and individuals in the Delaware Court of Chancery and other state and federal courts, including in multiple high stakes, expedited proceedings. Margaret also advises clients on corporate governance matters and has represented officers and directors in SEC, FDIC, and other government investigations and proceedings.
Margaret’s representative experience includes*
- As a member of the trial team, obtaining an opinion allowing a major midstream energy company to exit a multi-billion-dollar merger after a highly expedited proceeding before the Delaware Court of Chancery, a victory later affirmed by the Delaware Supreme Court.
- As a member of the trial team, defeating a unitholder class action seeking to unwind an equity issuance.
- As a member of the trial team, defending a former CEO of a federally chartered bank in removal proceedings brought by the FDIC on basis of alleged breach of fiduciary duties and unsafe and unsound banking practices.
- Securing emergency temporary restraining order on behalf of a limited partner blocking an unfair, conflicted transaction negotiated by fund managers.
- Lifting an emergency temporary restraining order improperly obtained against limited partnership based on the violation of the partnership agreement’s forum selection provision.
- Securing early dismissal of complaint in Texas District Court asserting direct and derivative breach of fiduciary duty claims against shareholder and former bank CEO.
Margaret has also represented media companies in cases involving defamation and other First Amendment-related claims. For example, Margaret obtained the dismissal of RICO, conspiracy, tortious interference, and defamation claims brought against a local newspaper and its employees and owner in federal district court, a judgment affirmed by the Fifth Circuit. Margaret was also part of a team that secured a reversal in favor of the Dallas Morning News in a defamation case before the Texas Supreme Court. Additionally, Margaret collaborated on a pro bono basis with the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press on two amicus briefs filed in the Fifth Circuit addressing the applicability of Texas’s anti-SLAPP statute in federal court.
Margaret is also committed to pro bono work on behalf of children and families. She was part of a trial team that secured the return of a child in an international child abduction case brought in federal court under the Hague Convention. She was also part of a team that secured asylum for a minor child fleeing persecution in his home country.
From 2015 to 2021, Margaret was an associate with Vinson & Elkins in Dallas and San Francisco as part of its securities and M&A litigation practice. While at Vinson & Elkins, Margaret was selected for the Super Lawyers Rising Stars Lists in Northern California (2019) and Texas (2020-2021). Prior to entering private practice, Margaret served as a judicial clerk to the Honorable Catharina Haynes of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and to the Honorable David C. Godbey of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
*Includes matter handled before joining Reese Marketos
Margaret graduated magna cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School, where she was a Member of the Order of the Coif and the Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society. Margaret also served as a Contributing Editor to the Michigan Law Review and as a student tutor in constitutional law. Prior to law school, Margaret attended Princeton University, where she concentrated in the Princeton School of Public and International Affairs and was a member of the Cap & Gown Club. Margaret also attended the Hockaday School in Dallas.
- Princeton University
- A.B., Princeton School of Public and International Affairs, 2009
- University of Michigan Law School
- J.D., magna cum laude, 2013
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of California
- All U.S. District Courts in Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Northern and Central Districts of California
- U.S. District Court for Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Super Lawyers Northern California Rising Star (2019)
- Super Lawyers Texas Rising Star (2020-2021)